What to expect from your first visit
to Body Back-Up Osteopathy & Sports Injury Clinics
- During your Initial Consultation, we’ll look at how your symptoms started and what makes them fluctuate – completing a Case History form.
- We will then take your medical history and examine you to assess your posture, structure and function – At this stage you will be asked to remove some items of outer clothing so we are able to observe your Spinal Mobility – We may need to see your lower and upper body to assess your function more completely, so wearing underwear you are comfortable with is best – (shorts are an option). We offer a blanket or towel on request too.
- We conduct a ‘Standing’ examination to assess your spinal and muscular function and you will be asked to bend in different directions as far as you are ‘able’ to comfortably – or perform a Dynamic Squat test. – This will help inform us of off areas that we might treat.
- We’ll also look at aspects of your lifestyle – especially if you have a long history of problems or an injury – to help us gauge the right treatment and advice.
- We can then make a diagnosis and will explain your treatment plan so you’ll know how many treatment sessions you will need and what to expect afterwards.
Our Treatment Management Plan
- Treatment may be in the form of Joint
Manipulation, Deep Massage for muscles,
Stretching and Joint Mobilisation as well
as other techniques to suit your needs.
- You can usually expect a Follow-Up session
within three to seven days after the initial
- A number of sessions in between depending
on your needs may be suggested.
- A final appointment check-up two to four weeks later.
- With Sports Injuries, we look at what treatment will help your injury to heal, explain what you can do to speed up recovery and let you know when you can safely return to your sport – we may provide some individualized remedial exercises.
For more detailed information on how we manage sports injuries
Click LINK Sporting care at Body Back-up
- We will assess how you are improving at the start of each consultation – you should notice a progressive difference at each visit – symptoms should reduce and your mobility improve – we will ask you to ‘score’ the change to help gauge progress.
- We aim to provide advice and individual exercises to reduce the chance of your problem recurring and these will be reviewed regularly to see if you are reaching your goals or need the exercises modified to make them more effective.
- We will also ask you whether you have noticed improvement in your lifestyle, work comfort, or improved sports performance etc. – These are useful measures of your progress.
Once your set of appointments is completed, we’ll also ask you to fill out an aftercare questionnaire on-lineto help us improve what we do.
Body Back-Up checkup – Your Future Management
Once you’re feeling good we want you to stay that way, so, with your agreement, we’ll send you a check-up invitation from time to time by post or email or text message to your mobile phone.
Possible After Effects of Treatment
Any side effects of treatment will be explained – you may feel soreness, – or tender, normally develops a superficial bruise (if you bruise easily). This will all clear in 24 hours or so, and is quite normal. Some patients also feel tired after treatment. If you have any concerns – please contact us.